Engineering Manager-Electrical (Revised)
Company: MTS Systems
Location: Eden Prairie
Posted on: June 7, 2021
A thriving environment for learning, innovation and growth.
Why do so many people join MTS Systems Corporation and stay for
a career? Because this is a place where you get to apply your
creativity, work with smart people on fascinating projects, and
make a positive impact on people's lives. It is a place where you
can learn, innovate and grow professionally.
Transforming what's possible with cars, aircraft, bridges, wind
turbines and space-age materials - this is work we dream about as
kids. At MTS, it's a rewarding career path for talented individuals
who are willing to work hard, think hard, and commit to solving
complex and critical challenges for our customers around the world,
many of whom are leaders in their respective industries.
By joining MTS, you'll have access to the latest tools and
technologies, along with the support of colleagues who are
passionate about their work. You'll discover a dynamic culture of
continuous improvement that extends to our people, one that offers
numerous ways to expand your knowledge and advance your career. And
because we are a global company, your work may also include world
Our business is thriving. Our future is exciting. Your potential
- Education Requirements were revised on 5/21/2021. Please see
updated minimum qualifications below.
Manage the Electrical Hardware Development group, which designs
and maintains electronic platform products, including real-time
motion controllers and data acquisition systems, that support the
MTS Test & Simulation business.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Inspire, lead, recruit, hire, train, and mentor electrical
engineers, firmware engineers, and technicians.
- Create an inclusive, positive work environment where people are
motivated to do their best.
- Foster collaboration between teams, and encourage creative
- Demonstrate strong and effective inter-personal and
communication skills, with the ability to interact professionally
with a diverse group of internal customers, staff, and
- Provide oversight, guidance and review of work performed by
- Conduct performance reviews, track individual's goals, create
individual development plans, and manage compensation.
- Ensure appropriate skills mix within the group.
- Develop staff bench strength and knowledge management practices
to ensure continuity of critical expertise and skills.
- Apply proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and
best practices to guide the development team on issues related to
the design, development, and deployment of mission-critical
- Employ project management and resource allocation skills to
ensure hardware development initiatives deliver with the required
scope, schedule, cost, and quality.
- Provides input to annual operating budget and manage department
spending against that budget.
- Anticipate operational, program, and implementation issues and
develop preventative measures.
- Provide regular feedback to senior management and facilitate
communication on project status, justifications for variances and
- Refine relevant metrics for hardware development and use as a
basis for communication and continuous improvement.
- Define strategic staffing plans based on projected demand
making use of external resourcing capacity where applicable.
- Act as a liaison to supply chain, contract manufacturers, and
key strategic vendor partners.
- Set and hold high work quality standards for the team.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in marketing and product
- Partner in developing and implementing product strategy.
- Manage conceptual studies to determine feasibility of product
- Develop concepts, cost estimates, and schedules to support
- Through design standardization, design for manufacturability
and value engineering, continuously improves the cost and quality
of business unit's design process and products.
Own and maintain the technology roadmaps for key technical
competencies within the department.
- Keep abreast of new technology and market developments
- Provide strategic, tactical, and functional analysis and
direction relative to all hardware engineering activities.
- Advocate, evangelize, and implement modern electrical
engineering product development best practices.
- Encourage innovation: document trade secrets and/or patent
applications around key intellectual property.
- Help translate business requirements into technical
specifications and, ultimately, product implementations.
- Facilitate buy vs. build decisions and 3rd party technology
- Communicate about technical, as well as strategic, concepts to
Foster a systems-engineering mindset: drive consistency in
architecture, processes, design documentation and tools across the
Education & Experience (Revised:)
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering is required. Electrical
Engineering or related field strongly preferred.
- 7 years of electrical engineering and/or project management
experience in a complex, technical environment
- 1 year of supervisory experience with demonstrated managerial
- Demonstrated track record of delivering multiple product
development projects simultaneously, balancing resources, timing,
and scope of outcomes
- Strong program management experience and demonstrated ability
to estimate work and deliver to plan
- Experience with managing product lifecycle: launching new
products, maintaining existing products, and sunsetting obsolete
- Proven ability to drive change and partner with diverse
- Up to 20% both domestic and international
- 10 years of electrical engineering and/or project management
experience in a complex, technical environment
- 5 years of supervisory experience with demonstrated managerial
- Demonstrated technical expertise and domain experience in
embedded systems, real-time systems and motion controls expertise
would be a plus
- Working knowledge of electronic safety and EMC standards along
with experience in managing product certification through
third-party certifying authorities desired
MTS Systems Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, gender identification, sexual
orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, age,
marital status or veteran status.
Posting Notes: Engineering (Mechanical/Electrical) | | |
Keywords: MTS Systems, Eden Prairie , Engineering Manager-Electrical (Revised), Other , Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!