Company: MTS Systems Corporation
Location: Eden Prairie
Posted on: August 1, 2022
- SMART PEOPLE * SMART IDEAS * SMART CHOICEA thriving environment
for learning, innovation and growth.Why do so many people join MTS
Systems Corporation and stay for a career? Because this is a place
where you get to apply your creativity, work with smart people on
fascinating projects, and make a positive impact on people's lives.
It is a place where you can learn, innovate and grow
professionally.Transforming what's possible with cars, aircraft,
bridges, wind turbines and space-age materials - this is work we
dream about as kids. At MTS, it's a rewarding career path for
talented individuals who are willing to work hard, think hard, and
commit to solving complex and critical challenges for our customers
around the world, many of whom are leaders in their respective
industries.By joining MTS, you'll have access to the latest tools
and technologies, along with the support of colleagues who are
passionate about their work. You'll discover a dynamic culture of
continuous improvement that extends to our people, one that offers
numerous ways to expand your knowledge and advance your career. And
because we are a global company, your work may also include world
travel.Job DescriptionPrimary ObjectivesDevelop and manage the
Design Engineering processes, tools, and staff to ensure the
cost-effective design and development of engineered systems,
providing best value to our customers and to MTS. Manage the
Engineering group, approve the assignment of individuals performing
engineering and design functions, and direct engineering tasks to
provide quality products and services that meet customer and
regulatory requirements by following reliable and continually
improving processes.Major AccountabilitiesProject Execution
- Develops and oversees MTS Solutions Engineering processes for
delivering standard, engineered and custom systems in a way that
delivers best value. Ensure Engineering processes effectively
integrate with Systems Engineering, Project Engineering,
Operations, and Quality Processes.
- Assigns engineering and design resources to ensure customer
projects are appropriately supported from presale through
- Collaborates with Marketing, Project Management, Systems
Engineering, Sourcing and Manufacturing to ensure designs are
satisfied safely, on time, within budget and on specification.
- Participating in system design reviews to monitor progress and
to observe and disseminate best practices within Engineering.
Provides technical support when needed.
- Provide regular feedback to senior management and facilitate
communication on project status, justifications for variances and
technical informationProcess Improvement and Cross Functional
- Responsible for identification, planning and execution of
process improvement programs including new methods and/or processes
to improve safety, productivity, efficiency, customer satisfaction
- Manages operational process improvement and efficiency within
operational area of responsibility through identifying and
implementing process improvement opportunities. Uses measures to
quantify results and to identify corrective actions needed.
- Anticipate operational, program, and implementation issues and
develop preventative measures
- Determine appropriate action to solve technical problems and
track to identify trends and determine cost-effective ways to
eliminate root causes.
- Refine relevant metrics for Engineering and use as a basis for
communication and continuous improvement. Team Management
- Inspire, lead, recruit, hire, train, and mentor Mechanical
Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Designers, and
- Participates as a leader and a team member, inspiring and
guiding others, supporting, and encouraging co-workers toward
common goals: Works to maintain a positive environment within the
group and with other functional support groups. Values and
integrates the ideas of others. Understands and respects others'
abilities and make decisions with the best interests of the team
and MTS in mind. Create an inclusive, positive work environment
where people are motivated to do their best.
- Demonstrate strong and effective inter-personal and
communication skills, with the ability to interact professionally
with a diverse group of internal customers, staff, and various
levels of management.
- Ensure appropriate skills mix within the group. Develop staff
bench strength and knowledge management practices to ensure
continuity of critical expertise and skills.
- Define strategic staffing plans based on projected demand,
making use of external resourcing capacity where applicable.
Provide oversight, guidance and review of work performed by
internal resources and external variable engineering
- Conduct performance reviews, track individual's goals, create
individual development plans, and manage compensation.
- Recommends staffing requirements and annual expense budgets.
Manage group cost center budget by actively monitoring expenses and
takes appropriate corrective action as appropriate.
- Provides input to annual operating plan and budget to meet
- Own and maintain the technology roadmaps for key technical
competencies within the group.
- Keep abreast of new technology and market developments.
- Encourage innovation: document trade secrets and/or patent
applications around key intellectual property.
- Help translate business requirements into technical needs and
actions, tracking metrics, measuring performance.
- Communicate about technical, as well as strategic concepts to
- All other duties as assigned. QualificationsMinimum
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or technical discipline or
equivalent work experience.
- 7 years of engineering and/or project management experience in
a complex, technical environment.
- 1+ years supervisory experience with demonstrated managerial
- Demonstrated ability to hire, train, coach and develop top
technical talent within your area of control.
- Responsive and willing to take ownership of issues and drive
- Able to effectively deal with ambiguity and make good decisions
with incomplete data.
- Proven ability to partner with diverse cross functional teams
and effectively drive change.
- Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with all levels
- Good verbal and written communication skills, confident public
- Self-starter, energizing, results oriented, and decisive.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept
confidential according to EEO guidelines.MTS is an equal
opportunity employer. We value our colleagues' unique perspectives,
experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can
develop their careers and perform to their full potential.As an
equal employment opportunity employer, MTS is committed to equal
employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning
with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the
employment relationship.All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin,
age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local
laws.ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues'
unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces
where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full
potential. As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is
committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for
employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through
all aspects of the employment relationship. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion,
national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any
other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or
Keywords: MTS Systems Corporation, Eden Prairie , Engineering Manager, Executive , Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!