Principal UX Engineer - Telecommute
Company: UnitedHealth Group
Location: Eden Prairie
Posted on: April 4, 2021
Optum is looking for an energetic, creative and technically
savvy Principal User Experience Designer to work within our User
Experience Design Studio team! A Principal UX Designer is
passionate about creating great experiences within a health care
setting. Their goal is to understand our users and business needs,
and collaborate with the product team to help create a great
product experience for our users. The Principal UX Designer will
work within a collaborative, cross-functional project team to
design portals, applications and web properties. They will partner
with UX researchers, designers, developers and UX managers to
translate information architecture, navigation and process flows
into easy-to-use and aesthetically beautiful solutions. You'll
enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S.
as you take on some tough challenges. Primary Responsibilities:
- Advocate for user-centered research and design principles.
- Gather insights and test concepts with users in order to inform
- Work on one or more projects while meeting UX, technical and
- Collaborate with team members to identify, prioritize and
implement design solutions in a fast-paced, rapidly changing
- Use wireframes, flow diagrams, sketches, storyboards, mockups,
and/or high fidelity prototypes to communicate the user experience
at various stages of the design process.
- Leverage and contribute to existing design pattern libraries
and interface guidelines.
- Iterate rapidly, with high quality, and with user centered
- Communicating the user experience at various stages of the
design process by using wireframes, flow diagrams, sketches,
storyboards, mockups, and/or high fidelity prototypes.
- Leveraging and contributing to existing design pattern
libraries and interface guidelines.
- Work on one or more design projects from start to finish while
meeting creative, technical and business requirements.
- Iterate rapidly, with high quality, and with user centered
- Assist with design practice leadership: mentoring, coaching of
design staff; maturing our design operations; or developing new
design services. You'll be rewarded and recognized for your
performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you
clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as
provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI),
Psychology, Information Architecture, Communications, Computer
Science, a related discipline, OR two years of relevant work
- 7+ years of UX experience
- Demonstrated understanding user-centered design and research
- Experience gathering user research and testing concepts with
users to inform design decisions.
- Experience with conducting expert reviews and/or heuristic
- Ability to work with designers and developers to implement new
- Portfolio of relevant user experience design and/or research
- Experience with industry standard design tools (e.g. Sketch,
InVision, Axure, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.).
- Experience creating wireframes and prototypes to communicate
design concepts to users and project partners.
- Ability to create clean, visually consistent designs.
- Ability to quickly iterate designs to meet business and user
needs while adapting to technical constraints.
- Proven ability to work across the design process, with high
quality and attention to detail.
- Ability to receive and provide design critique.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Practice selling ideas with good negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Eager to learn from engagement and team members.
- Ability to work autonomously and manage time effectively.
- Ability to work collaboratively with team and internal
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be
required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app,
Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone
system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener.
Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In
addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are
expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot
be attained. Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's degree or higher in Design, HCI, Psychology,
Information Architecture, or related discipline.
- Experience training and mentoring junior design staff.
- Experience working with Agile methodology.
- Experience with enterprise software.
- Experience with medical or healthcare industries.
- Involvement in the UX community (e.g. UXPA, AIGA, IxDA,
meet-ups, clubs, conferences).
- Knowledge of UX related analytics and metrics.
- Experience in practical application of accessibility standards
- Experience in group facilitation, user interviews, heuristic
evaluations, task analysis, usability test moderation and card
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to
present complex concepts clearly and persuasively across diverse
audiences at various levels of our organization.
- Experience designing for mobile and/or responsive web.
- Experience with conversational interaction design and its
related technologies (natural language understanding, speech
recognition, dialog generation, and speech synthesis) Technology
Careers with Optum . Information and technology have amazing power
to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives.
This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the
problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so
it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're
creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into
action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower
costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work
together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do
--your life's best work.(sm) *All Telecommuters will be required to
adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy. Colorado
Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500
to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not
limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of
the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers
the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable
eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans;
wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or
public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock
purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and
long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance;
Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical
illness and accident insurance. Diversity creates a healthier
atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity /
Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status,
disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other
characteristic protected by law. UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free
workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before
beginning employment. Job Keywords: Telecommute, Telecommuter,
Telecommuting, Work from home, Work at home, Remote, Principal UX
Engineer If you want to use your abilities to help us challenge the
status quo and achieve on our ambitious mission, this is the right
place for you. We are creating and delivering quality health care
solutions that deeply impact the health care system. And this means
opportunities for people like you to grow and innovate with us. At
UnitedHealth Group we work with the largest collection of health
related data. It's an opportunity and challenge on an enormous
scale using SAS, R/Python, Hadoop, MapReduce and every emerging
platform that makes sense for a team that makes the big--- At
UnitedHealth Group, the technology and innovation we invent is in
service of a future where health care serves everyone more fairly,
productively and consistently. We put a series of questions to Pat
Keran, Senior Director at Optum, to explain wha--- UnitedHealth
Group is committed to working with and providing reasonable
accommodations to individuals with physical and mental
disabilities. If you need special assistance or accommodation for
any part of the application process, please call 1-800-561-0861 and
press or say 1 for Applicant to be connected to Recruitment
Services. Recruitment Services hours of operation are 7 a.m. to 7
p.m. CT, Monday through Friday. UnitedHealth Group is a registered
service mark of UnitedHealth Group, Inc. The UnitedHealth Group
name with the dimensional logo, as well as the dimensional logo
alone, are both service marks for the UnitedHealth Group, Inc.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information,
or any other characteristic protected by law. UnitedHealth Group is
a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test
before beginning employment.
Keywords: UnitedHealth Group, Eden Prairie , Principal UX Engineer - Telecommute, Engineering , Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!